Monday, January 4, 2010

Being A Sojourner

Psalm 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.

The concept of being a Sojourner is a Biblical theme that follows us through the O.T. into the New. Our forefather Adam, became a sojourner when he was put out of the Garden of Eden after he sinned. Father Abraham left Ur as a wanderer. Jesus walked the hills of Galilee as an itinerant preacher, never owning even a tent.

And we? Well, we own our our lands and estates, our cars and vans that would make Jehu envious, and our wardrobes and dozen pair of shoes as a noose around our neck. If we were called to leave "this place," how long would it take us to pack?

I am afraid we would answer Jesus as those called to the feast in Lu 14:16-20 ... (18) And they all with one consent began to make excuse.....
What is your excuse not to be a sojourner?
If you claim to be one, what is your proof?

No comments: